A note about this blog...

Most of the pictures of these items are taken and posted from my phone, so the quality may not be so great. You can click on the actual photo to bring it up huge on your screen, where you can read my journaling and get a closer look at the details.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Orange Mini Monkey Bread

Ok, so I have no intention for using this blog as a recipe blog, there are enough of those.  HOWEVER, this is a special occasion.  You see, I'm on a Monkey/Banana quest.  I'm one of the girls hosting a Monkey/Banana theme baby shower in June.  Originally we were going to do a Banana Split Bar, but my cousins beat me too it a couple of weeks ago for their sister's shower.  Sigh  [Notice the puff of smoke carrying off our little fun plans].  Anyhow, we decided to go with an all Banana (or Monkey) food bar.  And though I have many, many, many Banana dessert ideas (thanks to all of the other crazies on Pinterest)...we're a bit afraid everyone will be on Banana overload.  Enter Monkey Bread.  If you aren't familiar with Monkey Bread, you live a sad existence and should rectify that immediately.  Now, little did I know that there are even a few different versions of Monkey Bread, even a Banana Nut Version.  So in my hunt I came across a Lemon Pull Apart Bread (that's grown up speak for Monkey Bread)...but after much searching I found a version that I thought sounded best.  This version over at BakerLady seems to die for...but, alas, I have no frozen dough.  What I did have was one can of buttermilk biscuit dough.  Which also convinced me that there MUST be a Monkey Bread for two.  I mean come on!  Not all of us have a hoard of people in our house.  I. Was. Wrong.  Apparently I am the only person that likes to make mini versions of food (can I get an Amen for mug cakes?!). 
Anyhow...  In my desperation to have monkey bread for one...

This is what you get when you use one can of dough and a mini bread pan.  Go ahead, be jealous.  Because I died and went to Monkey Bread Heaven.  Half of this loaf (I mean, it was a mini loaf after all) was gone before I jumped up from the table and literally ran from the kitchen.  There are 525 calories in a can of biscuit dough, not to mention the butter and sugar I added...oh, and the glaze.  I could not afford to sit there any longer.

So, using the Lemon Monkey Bread recipe from BakerLady as a jumping point, I created (ME!!  I don't create food recipes!  I create science experiments in the kitchen and have decided I am much better at creating...upstairs...in my scrapbook room!) this Orange Mini Monkey Bread.  I'll even be extra nice and not only BRAG about it, but provide all of you with the "recipe".

Orange Mini Monkey Bread
Serves 3 (if we're behaving, 1 if we're being honest)

1 can of Buttermilk Biscuit Dough
Zest of 1 Orange
1tbs Butter (plus more for greasing the pan)
1/4c Raw Sugar

Pop can, separate biscuits.  Zest orange over the top of the dough, knead zest into dough.  Pinch dough into bite appropriate pieces and put a layer on the bottom of a mini loaf pan that you've buttered.  Sprinkle with sugar, drizzle with butter.  Add another layer; sprinkle sugar, drizzle butter.  Pop in oven for about 30 min.  27 min might have been better, but I'm no pro here.  You be the judge.  Pull out when done, turn onto a plate, drizzle glaze.

Orange Glaze

1tbs fresh Orange Juice (from the one you zested)
5tbs Powder Sugar

Stir together.  A thicker glaze holds up better, so add more sugar if need be.  You can not have enough glaze.  I was sopping up what was on the plate.  Spoon over top of hot loaf.

Eat.  Eat it now!  Eat it when its still so hot it pains you to touch it.  It will be worth it.  I mean, its good when its cold too, but there is nothing like really hot, steaming Monkey Bread straight out of the oven!

And no one says you have to share.  I won't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment